Monday, January 5, 2009

My life is never dull

I really wasn't expecting much other than the typical heartbeat and tummy check at my doctor's appointment today, but got a surprise when my doc came in pulling the ultrasound machine behind her. She said that she just wanted to see for herself and check my amniotic fluid levels so I was more than happy to be able to get another peak at my lovely little bean. She put the transducer on my tummy and looked up at me kinda puzzled and asked if Capt. Duke had been breech... I told her no and she said," well, this one sure is," and showed me that the reason I've been so uncomfortable and unable to breathe is because Little Miss Brooklyn is frank breech, basically, her butt is settled into my pelvis, her head up under my ribs, and her feet piked up in front of her face... Never dull huh?!

This means that we are hoping and praying that she will flip herself head down soon so that I can deliver her vaginally. If she doesn't flip on her own by 39 weeks from my original due date of Feb 2nd (around daddy's birthday Jan 27thish) we will schedule an External Cephalic Version (manually turning her from the outside, OUCH!!) with induction following that same day. Worst case scenario is that I go into labor on my own in the next 2 weeks, Brooklyn hasn't turned and is still breech, and I have to have an emergency C-section. I really, really don't want to have a C-section, but I will do whatever it takes to get this lovely girl out happy and healthy. Other than that, everything else looks perfect and super healthy.

I will post pictures of my belly cast that we did this weekend as soon as I can get them uploaded...

2 comments:

Mama G said...

Ah, yes. Welcome to the breech baby club. Mine was transverse--sideways, with feet down. Definitely do your research on the external maneuvering. . . we opted against it. . . and check out spinningbabies.com None of it worked for us and we had the em.c/s, but turns out I have a faulty uterus. Who knew?! Good luck!

Lora said...

it all sounds awful. I had a C-section with Jake, and I'll let you in on a secret.
while it wasn't ideal, there is nothing better than having an excuse to get to know your new baby for two weeks. No pressure to get up and clean or cook or receive vistors. Poor Lukey may suffer a bit, but that's where Daddy and Grandma might step in.
I'm not sure about your feeding plans, I would've hated bottle feeding if I couldn't get up to wash and make them but nursing was a breeze.

My fingers are crossed that Brookie will flip around on her own in the next few days.