Monday, November 3, 2008

28 weeks.... and counting...





A few snippets from my favorite pregnancy websites...

What's Happening with Your Body
Added baby weight is taking its toll on your body. Chances are you're feeling aches and pains all over! Your feet, ankles, and hands may be swollen. Cramps may cause intense pain in your legs, especially at night, and it may be hard to find a comfortable sleeping position. You may also be experiencing false contractions (called Braxton Hicks) where your abdomen tightens, then relaxes. Hang in there—you're getting closer to your due date!

Your uterus is around three inches above your navel. If you are Rh negative, you'll be getting a RhoGam injection right around now. And those tightening sensations? Braxton Hicks "practice" contractions.


All About Baby
Your unborn baby's survival rate outside the womb increases as each week passes. If he didn't open his eyes last week, chances are he'll take his first peek this week. Your baby-to-be's skeleton and muscles are maturing quickly. This week he can turn his head from side to side.

Most of the lanugo has disappeared at this point and your baby may have a full head of hair by now.

How Big Is Baby?
Your Baby weighs in at around two pounds, seven ounces and stretches to 10 inches (crown to rump).

Fetal development in pregnancy week 28
You know how you’ve been feeling a bit like a barn with legs? Well, that feeling won’t subside before… well, you know, when you finally give birth. For the time being, you’ve got yourself a baby in the business of collecting fat and lots of it! In spite of the dubious joys of being a human-barn, this baby fat business is very serious and you’ve got to put up with it because it’s going to keep your little porker warm and healthy after birth. Other good stuff from inside: their eyes are doing lots of blinking this week because they’re now able to respond to light and dark. Also, their industrious little bone marrow is now a major construction site for developing red blood cells, while their super-cute adrenal glands are actually producing androgen and estrogen—which will stimulate your hormones to begin milk production. Can you say, “Moo?”


So there it is...

I guess that's what I'm supposed to be feeling/growing/doing right about now during my pregnancy. It's funny but I really don't remember much of anything other than being righteously swollen, grumpy and uncomfortable from about this moment on in my pregnancy with Lukey Duke. I've had everything crossed for a few weeks now that the somewhat bothersome swelling that I've been having is actually normal swelling and not an impending sign of crappy things to come. I have my next doctor's appointment next Monday and am hoping that I haven' gained a bunch of weight, there's no protein in my urine, and my BP is average and steady like it has been up to this point. I believe that after this appointment I will "graduate" to appointments every two weeks instead of ever four like I have been doing.

She is calm and chill like she has been, kicking and rolling in response to my Decaf Peppermint Mocha in the morning and then she will settle in for a long nap until lunch time when she'll wake up and assault my insides again for another hour or so... I hope I'm not jinxing myself but she really doesn't keep me up at night like Capt. Duke used to do. She'll move around for about 20 minutes or so when I first lay down and then she is totally quiet until I wake up in the morning. Maybe this awesome skill will stick around!!! Anyway, off to work land... Maybe it will be busy today so my time will fly...

No comments: